Sunday 20 April 2014

Cooper is back!

Well - seems like ages since I've written anything so just a quick catch up.

Today we went to the West Country Dog Show in Thornbury Leisure Centre. We really like this show - easy to get to, good free parking, acres of fields and woods to run around after, and lots of space in the hall to strut your stuff. A really well run show. Toller classes too which is welcomed in an Open show. I was in Post Graduate. There were only two classes, with Open as well. Fifteen toller entries - for an Open show that is really good. I went well and got a Third - not as good as last year, but it was a tougher class.

On Saturday I'm in WELKS in Malvern, then early in May it's up to Stafford. So a bit of travelling to come. I love the shows but not the ring too much. I like to meet all the other dogs and have a good scream when I see others getting excited. I'm also at the age now when I'll tell off any other testosterone fuelled dogs if they push their face into mine. Hey - I know I get a row for it but you can't be a shrinking violet all your life! It's all handbags really - I'm fine in the ring.

Had some fun last week with a few walks along Neath Canal. A bit of excitement one day in particular when I detected a distinct "duck" smell down an embankment off the side of the canal. Rushed down to have a closer look and a huge Mammy Mallard took off. And you know what was under her - a load of lovely looking eggies. I sniffed all around them - they smelled really good - they looked even better. But then Dad screamed at me to come back before I could have any for breakfast. Pity - because I'm sure they'd have been delicious. Dad took me back the next day - on a lead at this part - to check everything was OK and lo and behold, Mammy Mallard was back in the same place, keeping the eggs nice and cosy. I can't wait to see those little ducklings swimming in my canal!





2 comments:

  1. Coooooper you are the handsomest toller boy I've ever seen. What a spoil sport your dad is, eggs are delicious! Well done on your place at West Country Dog Show, good luck at WELKS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to say the mallard clutch of eggs never made it. It had nested in a very conspicuous, vulnerable place, on a part of the canal frequented by foxes and otter, maybe even mink. Very disappointed but many have nested successfully - provided they stick to the reed areas at the sides of the canal.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.