Saturday 19 October 2013

Life in General

Just wanted to post some pics. Nothing near as exciting as any of your show results but fun nonetheless!

Rookie has been.... playing gundogs on Dartmoor....

   

 
 



 


......been snuck up on by cows.....


.....been getting wet and muddy......




.... Been making friends with more cats...


... Been playing with some of his best friends Henry and Alfie....



....Been to the fair....


... Been on a long train ride (and behaved impeccably to my surprise!)....




.... Been serving Rice Crispies through a hatch at my friend's house....



.... Been beat up by puppies... and yes the second one is a toller!....




...And of course a little R&R....









And amongst all that, Rookie found the time to make his Obedience debut. 
I was so nervous as I know the comedy Rookie is capable of.... the judge was waiting for dogs so called me to come in, I brought him over to the ring. Once there, I produced his beloved Chuckit from my pocket and gained immediate focus!! I nervously said to the judge "we're ready", and charged in before we lost attention! I put the ballie away, and did some heelwork. He is quite a stylish worker, and in my peripheral vision I could see the few people outside the ring turn to watch. Pressure! My concerns before the big day were Rookie running out of the ring to bring me a sendaway marker in the adjoining ring (the highest class), or running out to flirt/play with some unsuspecting dog! I even put him on an extendable lead for the recall, but once he belted up to me I realised he didn't need it, took it off, did another one, and then did some more lovely heelwork for a good ball game. He was super and I needn't have worried! Not saying he will never do any of those naughty things ;) but I think we have more than enough to work with going into next year, as he has no more shows this year. 



Working trials training is going well too, I do feel this really is his forte, he has taken to WT style heelwork easily and is confidently completing longer and more challenging tracks.

He is also extremely proficient at detecting dog barks at great distances, as I saw him take off on Dartmoor one day and could see on the horizon a panicky woman putting her two GSD's back on the lead!! He found the little dog that was with her, had a little play, glanced at the barking GSD's as if to say "alright, calm down!" and ran back just as fast as he'd gone. NAUGHTY puppy!



I don't know how much longer I can play the puppy card for..... can't believe they are coming up for 2 in a few months.

Look forward to hearing all about your show results over winter, as I won't have anything exciting to report for a long time! Good luck to you all, not that you seem to need it :)

Jess and Rookie

4 comments:

  1. I've touched on this before, but that Rookie is just too darned handsome! And what an exciting life he lives too. He's the James Bond of the doggie world without a doubt. Keep it coming 'cos I love reading about him. (His sister's a cracker too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous photo's :) and what a handsome lad x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, these results mean nothing without the fabulous homes that these dogs have! They're all loved to bits and lead such exciting lives whether shown or not. Rookie is really coming along and has quite a following, but who couldn't resist loving him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true indeed, Donna :) certainly these dogs are very special and thoroughly loved regardless!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.