Thursday 8 August 2013

Cooper and Milly at National Gun Dog, 4 August

For once Tollers were being judged early.  The weather forecast was grim but our breed were first in. To ensure we found our way Mam and Dad had finally started to embrace the modern world and had put a Sat Nav in the car.  Straight into the Malvern showground - no problem!  Think that's money well spent Mam, 'cos Dad was surprisingly chilled out. Better than a valium I reckon!

All us tollers started gathering around the outdoor ring ready for the judging at 9am.  LOOK MAM - THERE'S MILLY (Seahaven Red Andromeda)!!  Lucy had got a seat outside and we joined her and my lovely sister.  We clicked straight away - bit of pawing, bit of nuzzling - pity there's a show because we would have played all day I reckon. Weather was still dry but looking ominous as the veterans and then younger dogs went in. Then it was my turn.  Dad disappeared in to the sheds, Mam took me in.  Only a small class (Graduate) but I was picked out first by the lady judge.

Graduate Class

Next class was about to start but even though I was entered we mistakenly thought I could withdraw and go on to the unbeaten line-up later in the show.  We were soon corrected by the judge and competitors.  No way, Cooper, you drag yourself into that ring again and fight it out with the bigger boys in the Post Graduate. Bigger and therefore tougher class, but chuffed to bits with a second place - both results being my best in Championship Shows.  The ring was as rough as Bryncoch Rugby Field, but the same for all of us - perhaps I had an advantage because I know the rugby field well!

Post Graduate
 Milly was entered into several classes too, and was hoping to be placed to win a slot at Crufts.  And by the time the girl tollers went into the ring, the promised deluge arrived.  The heavens opened up and handlers were given the chance to go inside - but they chose to brave it!  Lucy borrowed Mam's waterproof coat and got stuck in - my poor sister Milly had just the fur she was born in!  And again, great results. In Post Graduate and in the Limit Class, both of which were well contested, Milly got Third and achieved her and Lucy's aim of Crufts 2014. There's going to be one heck of a Seahaven party there next year.  Pity we can't all get on a coach and get someone to drive! Get the sparkling wine in, Donna, and don't forget the cocktail sausages - I love 'em!!

I personally missed Milly's triumphs (and therefore the opportunity to get some photos of her, though to be honest we would by then have needed an underwater camera!) because Dad had entered me into Good Citizen - Bronze.  You remember I was the only Seahaven dog to fail this at Windsor as my love for the ladies meant I wouldn't stay put long enough.  But wara teg, Dad and me have been working hard since.  I got the Bronze at last and the judge (nice lady again) told Dad it was the best performance at the Bronze she'd dealt with that day.  It was only 11.30am though - so let's keep it in perspective!!

What a day to celebrate.  And hopefully Lucy and Milly will be at WKC in Builth Wells - 'cos I'll be there - and I hope to see any of you Seahaven dogs that can make it.

All the best for now,

Love

Cooper
x


3 comments:

  1. Well done to you both, and not forgetting Morry (Seahaven Celtic Psalm) who won both the Graduate and Novice LM classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I thought I saw a familiar looking LM as we were all rushing to get out of the rain. Whatever, big congrats to Morry! Forget about the sparkling wine at Crufts next year, Donna. The way it's going it's going to be Moet Chandon at least - and don't forget the sausages!

      Delete
  2. Wow well done Cooper! A very successful day for all at National Gundog :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.